Tofino, BC, Canada is a fabulous destination for a family vacation. Visit our full blog post to see what fun is waiting for you and your family in this beautiful part of the world. To help with your planning we have provided a few tips we learned along the way.
Planning A Vacation in Tofino, Canada
- Tofino is a small town located on the west coast of Vancouver Island in the province of British Columbia, Canada. When you are thinking of Canada, Tofino is on the far west side, in the Pacific Ocean. Important to know when planning a trip to Tofino- Tofino is located on Vancouver Island which ironically is not where Vancouver, the city, is located. Vancouver, the city, is located on the mainland of British Columbia. Confusing, I know.
- Book all your excursions well in advance. If you wait until you arrive in Tofino (especially in the summer) you will likely find everything booked.
- This is not a budget vacation. You will spend a lot but you will get a lot.
- Even in the summer, it is not hot. Remember to bring your fleece!
- Book your accommodations months in advance. Everything fills up fast!
- Rent a wetsuit for the kids on day one and keep it all week. Even if you don't plan on surfing, the wetsuit is great for playing in the shallow water of the ocean. There are multiple areas around town that have them for rent, just ask at the local shops. It will make being in the ocean a breeze (compared to freezing without one.)
- If you like Tacos, find the Tacofino food truck, its worth it! It can be found in the back of the parking lot of the surf shop where we rented our wetsuits for the week.
- Buy a piece of First Nation's art. It is very specific to this part of Canada and a great memory of your trip.
- Bring water shoes. They are practical for getting wet while walking the beach and quick drying afterward. They are also useful if you go in the kayaks and then want to walk on one of the islands as your shoes will most likely get wet.
- Buy fresh local salmon. It is delicious!
- The drive from Victoria is quite long but there are many great stops to make along the way. Try to get a few in.
- Don't limit yourself just to Tofino. Vancouver Island is huge and has many great destinations. Some inspiration to get you started!